colorFabb is commited to produce and distribute filaments in a sustainable way. Below are some of the steps we have taken to ensure that our footprint is brought to a minimum.
All our spools are made with virgin plastic and fully recyclable when properly discarded through recycling programs. Spools are only a small part of the equation, but the most visible part for customers.
We care for the environment and work hard to so by:
- having recyclable packaging (plastic and cardboard)
- working with dedicated partners like DHL who makes a lot of efforts through their green initiatives
- generating our own power through 480 solar panels on our roof and heat through dedicated wells under our plant
- minimizing waste in our production plant
- the bit of waste we have is collected and recycled separately by recycling companies
- reduce stock by making custom filaments like Color on Demand, this ensures that only products are produced that are needed in the market. It’s still early days, but we see the future in this way of working.
- very important: making sure the customer knows what the filament is and not waste filament by trial and error. We have an active support and tutorial page for that.
We also work with limited recycling of spools if we can get them back in large quantities and only after mutual agreement. All spools have to be retrieved, but also cleaned and inspected (we see a lot of waste added to them like filament leftovers, spools from other manufacturers and just plain dirt on spools). The 3D printing industry is not yet big or standardized enough to allow for an industry-wide recycling program for spools.